Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hymns Can Carry Important Personal Messages

Every morning during training, we had a devotional.  They showed video clips, both inspirational and funny.  Then one of the new missionaries gave a thought (talk) and his/her spouse read a scripture and gave the prayer.

When it was our turn, Arnold gave this talk, and JoAnn read Psalms 27:1. "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

Arnold's talk must have struck a cord with the other missionaries, because nearly everyone of the missionaries, and most of the trainers, came up to him afterwards and thanked him for the message.  After almost 2 weeks of intensive training, we all were wondering how well we could do, and whether we would measure up. 

Hymns Can Carry Important Personal Messages

Back in the early 1970s I enjoyed the blessing of being a member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  I have always loved our hymns and the messages they convey and the spirit they bring to our meetings. Some are prayers to our Heavenly Father. Some are His messages to us. Some are more appropriately sung in Sacrament Meetings. Some are meant for special occasions, while others are good and bring special spirit to our homes in Family Home Evening.

I began losing my hearing a few years ago. As a result, I came to the realization that singing is closely dependant on hearing to be able to intonate well and balance and blend with other singers.  As much as I love Music, I realized that it was time to ask to be released from the fine North Las Vegas Stake Choir to which I had been called.  Elder Quentin L. Cook of the twelve said in the October 2011 General Conference something which seemed directed to me.  He said: A line from a beloved hymn provides comfort, solace, and the clear lens: ‘And Jesus listening can hear the songs I cannot sing.’

Stenosis of Vertebrae in my lower back has weakened my legs.  I even went through some physical therapy to strengthen my ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time. I was concerned that I might not have the ability to walk and stand as might be required for our mission.  We had also paid for a tour of early church history sites including Independence Missouri, Far West, Liberty, Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Nauvoo, Carthage, Winter Quarters. It goes without saying that this tour would require a lot of walking. To prepare ourselves for the expected rigors of this tour, we began walking in our neighborhood in the early mornings. We live in Las Vegas so when the hot weather hit, we changed our walks to inside shopping centers. We also enrolled in the YMCA so I could exercise to strengthen my legs.

We were totally thrilled with the experiences of this tour and the wonderful spirit we felt. It strengthened our testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and built an appreciation of the sacrifices of our ancestors, the early saints made to establish Zion.

The greatest disappointment for me personally was how I physically felt.  It should not have been a surprise that I could not stand for extended periods of time.  At the Independence Temple Lot while listening to a lecture on what will happen some day at that sacred place, I was unable to stand long enough for the entire presentation.  After that I learned to pace myself, seeking opportunities to sit and rest.

So one Saturday back in September, as I was thinking about this and considering our mission, I prayed earnestly that the Lord would bless me with the strength and stamina to serve Him.  As I was waking up the next Sunday morning the words to a hymn were running through my head.  I kept hearing over and over again: “I’ll strengthen thee, help thee and cause thee to stand.”  In those early hours those words kept echoing through my head I couldn’t get the rest it nor recall what hymn.


I should have been paying more attention to the message it was conveying.  Then as I was reading the scriptures that morning I realized: There is a message here especially for me. The Holy Ghost was speaking to my heart in a way that only I could understand. I am going to be all right serving this mission.  The Lord will help me. I was beginning to understand that this is the Lord’s message to me.

Yet, I still couldn’t think of the name of that hymn nor the verse that was running through my head.

Then at Sacrament meeting, we began to sing the opening hymn “How Firm a Foundation.”  When we began singing, I thought this could be it?  Then when we got to the third verse I realized this is it!   I knew the Lord was speaking to me in a way that I would understand.

When we got home from church, I opened the hymn book and looked up the rest of the words to this glorious hymn.  I realized that the many verses are addressed in the second person singular such as thee and thy instead of the second person plural you and yourUntil I learned another language, I would not have picked up on that subtle difference but it is apparent that by using the singular noun it represents the Lord speaking to us individually.

Imagine my feelings, if you will, when they announced the opening hymn that following Tuesday evening at our Stake High Priest Quorum Meeting: “How Firm a Foundation.”

It seems to me this hymn is addressed to Senior Missionaries:

 

At home or abroad, on the land or the sea—

As thy days may demand so thy succor shall be.

 

Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,

For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.

I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,

Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.          (Then on to verse 6)

 

E’en down to old age, all my people shall prove

My sov’reign, eternal, unchangeable love;

And then, when gray hair shall their temples adorn,

Like lambs shall they still in my bosom be borne.

 

I pray that as we serve this sacred mission that we will come to rely upon the Lord not only physically, but mentally, emotionally and spiritually to strengthen us, help us and cause us to stand, upheld His righteous hand, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ. Amen
-- Arnold A. Miller
Note: For sake of message clarity, I stripped out sections where the same phrase repeats.

How Firm a Foundation #85

How firm a foundation, ye Saints of the Lord,

Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!

What more can he say than to you he hath said,

Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?

 

In ev’ry condition—in sickness, in health,

In poverty’s vale or abounding in wealth,

At home or abroad, on the land or the sea—

As thy days may demand so thy succor shall be.

 

Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,

For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.

I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,

Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.

 

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,

The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o’erflow,

For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,

And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

 

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,

My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply.

The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design

Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

 

E’en down to old age, all my people shall prove

My sov’reign, eternal, unchangeable love;

And then, when gray hair shall their temples adorn,

Like lambs shall they still in my bosom be borne.

 

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose

I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;

That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,

I’ll never, no never, no never forsake!

 

Arnold A. Miller

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment